How to Choose and Buy a Bluetooth Headphone?
Sep 07,2023 | David
Bluetooth headphone is a type of wireless headphone. Since the removal of the headphone jack on the iPhone 7, people's demand for cable-free Bluetooth headphones has grown rapidly, you can also use Bluetooth headphones on Android smartphones, as well as the Apple Watch. Compared with wired headphones, the advantage of Bluetooth headphones is that there is no cable trouble, the cable will not be tangled, and there is no need to worry that your headphone cable will be disconnected. In addition, you don't have to worry about touch noise generated by the friction of cables and clothes.
Bluetooth headphones are useful not only when enjoying music and videos, but also when making calls and video chatting on smartphones. It is convenient for your work when worn because it can connect wirelessly to the device. Bluetooth headphones have many styles and prices, so you may not know how to choose, therefore, in this article, we will introduce the key points of choosing a Bluetooth headphone and recommend some excellent products to help you choose the suitable Bluetooth headphone for you.
14 points that you should consider when choosing a Bluetooth headphone
1 . Choose according to sound quality:
Some consider that Bluetooth headphones do not have better sound quality compared to wired headphones. However, Bluetooth has elements such as codecs, a format for voice compression, and Class, (which represents radio wave strength,) which are among the factors that determine the quality of sound. If you want to choose Bluetooth headphones with high sound quality, you should pay special attention to the type of codec.
Nowadays,the mainstream high-quality codecs are AAC and apt-X. When used on smartphones, it's important to remember that AAC is mostly used for iPhones and apt-X is mostly used for Android. The iPhone does not support apt-X, so it cannot use apt-X headphones. Also note that the sender (smartphone) and receiver must support the same codec. There is also a codec called SBC, but this is a slightly older standard and the sound quality is not so high. Moreover, if you want advanced sound quality, there are high-quality codecs such as LDAC and apt -X HD. In this case, the music player must also support LDAC or apt -X HD.
2. Choose according to the noise reduction function: Noise reduction is a function that reduces ambient noise, which makes you have a better listening effect, it has the function of clearing the sound flowing out of the headphones, so you can concentrate and immerse yourself in the sound of the headphones. It is particularly effective at reducing sustained bass when riding trains and other vehicles, while sudden treble is less effective. Therefore, it will be convenient for those who have many opportunities to listen to music on the train.
3. Choose according to sound insulation effect: The high sound insulation brought by the headphone structure is also something we need to pay attention to when choosing a Bluetooth headphone. In general, the strongest sound insulation is the in-ear headphones plugged into the ear hole, because it is highly sealed, the sound is easily transmitted to the ear, and the sound leakage to the surrounding environment is reduced. In-ear headphones are especially suitable for those who attach importance to the bass.
However, we should also note that in-ear headphones are plugged directly into your ears, wearing them for a long time may cause discomfort or pain in your ears. And if you use in-ear headphones outdoors, it will be difficult to notice changes in the surrounding environment, which can easily become dangerous, so you should pay extra attention to whether the headphones have ambient mode/transparent mode, or directly choose bone conduction Bluetooth headphones with open ear type hanging directly on the ear.
4. Choose according to whether it is lightweight or not:
Bluetooth headphones tend to be heavier than wired headphones because they require the installation of receiving parts and battery boxes inside. It is recommended to choose lightweight products as much as possible, because the lighter the headphones, the less tired we will feel and the more comfortable we are even if we wear them for a long time.
5. Choose according to battery life:
Battery life is also a problem to consider. Before purchasing a Bluetooth headphone, please check the "continuous playback time" in the information in the specification writing.
6. Choose according to the charging speed: the same as mentioned above, we should pay attention to how long it takes for the Bluetooth headphone to be fully charged, so please check the "charging time" in the specifications first.
7. Choose according to the case: Bluetooth headphone with case is also a surprisingly important item, you need to make sure that the case size and shape are compact and easy to use. If the case can charge the headphone, these kind of Bluetooth headphone is also worth your consideration.
8. Choose according to accessories: We should also pay attention to the accessories that come with Bluetooth headphones. In the case of neckband-type Bluetooth headphones, a clip may be installed to secure the battery compartment to the collar of a shirt and so on, and the presence or absence of such small items may affect availability.
9. Choose according to the wearing style: there are many types of Bluetooth headphones without a cable, including completely independent left and right types, types without any cables, left and right integrated headphones connected by short lines, bone conduction Bluetooth headphones with open ear design, etc. Please choose the Bluetooth headphone that suits you according to the scenario you want to use.
10. Choose according to the waterproof function: When used for sports such as running, it is very important whether the Bluetooth headphone has a waterproof function.
The waterproof performance is determined by the waterproof level of IPX1~IPX8 that meets the JIS standard. If it is used for daily sports, it is safe to have IPX4 or higher level. If you are a swimming enthusiast, then you can choose IPX8 Bluetooth headphone.
11. Choose headphones with convenient functions as much as possible: the control keys on the headphone body can not only play and stop music, but some models can also support call operation. You can check the execution standard called a profile in the Bluetooth headphone to confirm which operation the control keys can use. If it supports AVRCP, you can control playback, stop, skip, fast forward, etc., and if it supports HFP, you can also perform call operations such as you can make a call (phone) or receive an incoming call.
12. Choose according to appearance: good appearance is also very important, it is recommended that you can choose products that are more suitable for your taste, such as simple design and color.
13. Choose according to the convenience of connection: Also pay attention to the convenience of connecting Bluetooth headphones with smartphones and music players. Some of the more convenient Bluetooth headphones will automatically connect next time after pairing successfully with smartphones and music players.
14. It should be considered whether the headphone supports multipoint and multipoint pairing:
Multipoint pairing is a function that can remember pairings with multiple connected devices, while multipoint is a function that allows you to connect multiple connected devices at the same time. For example, when using the multipoint function, if you receive an incoming call on your smartphone while listening to music on a digital audio player, the music will fade out, you can use the headphone's control keys to start the call, you can continue listening to the music and when the call ends.
Recommend 5 Bluetooth headphones ranked according to excellent performance:
TOP1: Wissonly Hi Runner bone conduction Bluetooth headphone
If you want to have a headphone with music during exercise, Hi Runner will be your best choice. It makes sound through the vibration of the bones, and the bones transmit the vibration of the sound source directly to the inner ear, so that the sound can be heard, so you only need to hang the headphones on the ears when wearing them, there is no need to plug them into the ears.
Because Hi Runner is worn by hanging on ears, it is not blocked ears and has good comfort, and it is also especially suitable for daily life, you can easily hear the sound of cars and traffic lights in outdoor running, walking and other sports scenes, which makes you safer when using. It is also especially recommended for those who like to listen to music at work while paying attention to the voices of their bosses and colleagues.
The overall frame of the Wissonly Hi Runner is made of adjustable aviation-grade titanium steel, which can adapt to different sizes of head circumference and ensure stability when wearing, so that you don't have to worry about the headphones falling off when exercising. The surface of the headphone is made of high-tech hypoallergenic silicone material, which does not contain chemical components to avoid allergies, and the overall touch of the earphone is as silky as baby's skin, avoiding uncomfortable feelings caused by long-term wear. It is very lightweight, less than 30g, so it will not feel heavy when worn. You can hang it around your neck when you're not using it, you don't have to worry about the headphones falling to the ground and damaging or losing them.
If you're worried about sweating too much while exercising or suddenly raining and breaking your headphones while using them outdoors, then the Wissonly Hi Runner can remove your concerns. It has an IPX8 waterproof rating higher than the industry standard, which allows it to work normally when swimming and diving, so you don't have to worry about its waterproof and sweat proof ability, which is a big advantage of it.
The Wissonly Hi Runner uses the latest Bluetooth 5.0 chip, which makes the Bluetooth connection more stable and less prone to choppy sound. It is also equipped with 32G body memory, which can store 5000 songs, and supports Bluetooth and MP3 working modes. When exercising underwater or in scenarios without a mobile phone, you can use it as a Bluetooth MP3 player. Its battery life is also very strong, it can listen to songs for 10 hours continuously, and it supports magnetic fast charging, which makes up for the disadvantages of wireless Bluetooth headphones.
Due to the particularity of the technical principle, bone conduction headphones are more difficult to improve sound quality, while Wissonly Hi Runner subverts the traditional sound quality scheme by using a large wireframe vibration unit, improving the effective vibration area through structural optimization, so that the sound has a good performance in both treble and bass.
Most important of all, its performances are so excellent and you can buy it for only $99.99, it's really very cost-effective, which is one of the reasons why I recommend it first.
TOP2: Bose QuietComfort earbuds
No matter where you are, they can use intelligent personalized noise cancellation technology anytime, anywhere, so you can have an immersive listening experience. These are comfortable earbuds that come with three pairs of earbuds and three pairs of custom stabilizing bands to ensure comfort and safety throughout the day, so you can find the best earbuds for your ears, with sound quality and fit to meet your long-term use needs.
It is an easy-to-operate wireless earbud that controls everything by using a simple touch interface on the headphone. This convenient interface frees your hands so you can focus on doing anything. Play or pause music and smart noise cancellation with simple swipe and tap without touching your phone.
Bose QuietComfort has a long battery life, allowing your favorite music to play for up to 6 hours. When not using it, store your Bose QuietComfort Earbuds in a portable charging case ,which is small enough to fit directly into your pocket. If the battery is low, voice prompts will let you know. What if the headphone runs out of power and there is not enough time to fully charge? Don't worry, the fast charging option provides up to 20 hours of battery life after 2 minutes of charging.
The headphones can pair with up to seven devices and easily switch between your connected devices next time without reconnecting.
It's not cheap, and the price depends on the color ($249 for midnight blue and gray, $239.49 for white and black), and if you have enough budget, then you can definitely consider this headphone.
TOP3: Jabra Elite 85t
The design of the Jabra Elite 85t headphones is simple and stylish, and it looks the same as the previous Elite 65t and Elite 75t models. The Jabra logo on the headphones is a physical button that allows you to easily perform various functions, such as playing and stopping songs, switching between noise cancellation and external sound capture.
The Jabra Elite 85t has a number of built-in microphones, including a feedforward microphone for noise cancellation to reduce noise outside the ear, and a feedback microphone located inside the earphone to reduce noise inside the ear. Six kinds of microphones and wind protection technologies are adopted, you can use it to make calls anywhere and in any environment. It is easy to operate and has a clear sound.
The Jabra Elite 85t is a lightweight Bluetooth heaphone that weighs only 6.9 grams, so you can wear it for long periods of time to enjoy music without feeling uncomfortable. Some tubular headphones may give a sense of oppression, but the Jabra Elite 85t has a semi-open design, their vents can adjust the air pressure in the ears which provides a sense of fit and openness.
The Elite 85t's sound quality is good, mainly because it boasts larger drivers. The Elite 85t features a 12mm drive that is twice the size of the previous model. If you want to enjoy music with a better sound, then it is recommended to choose the Elite 85t. In addition, you can adjust the equalizer and set "Audio" by installing the Jabra Sound+ app to make it easier to listen to audio.
It costs $167, which is moderately expensive.
TOP4: Earsopen SS900 bone conduction Bluetooth headphone
Compared with common bone conduction headphones, this is another type of headphone, which is worn in an clip-ear manner, just like wearing earrings.
The SS900 headphones are paired with a miniature bone conduction vibrator to reduce the weight of the headphones and reduce the feeling of weight in wearing, it is a separate pair of headphones, each weighing 7.5g, which is very light. The part that contact with the pinna is made of skin-friendly and non-slip material to ensure stability and make it more comfortable to wear.
In terms of sound quality, the bass performance is good, but the treble is a bit flawed, as there is a problem with harsh audio when the audio is too high. It uses PreciseAir 3.0 integrated forming technology, which simplifies the parts inside the fuselage and reduces sound leakage.
It supports IPX7 waterproof, sweat, rain and washing is no problem for it, but it cannot be worn underwater. It uses the Bluetooth version of 5.2 to make the connection more stable, it supports Type-C charging, and also has a fast charging mode.
It costs around $180, which is a low cost-effective.
TOP5: Sony WF-1000XM4
The Sony WF-1000XM4 adopts a newly developed integrated processor V1 chip, which can capture more ambient sound from the dual feedback microphones on the headphones, and with more sophisticated algorithms, it can provide stronger noise reduction performance, and can also obtain more natural and low-latency ambient sound performance.
Sony WF-1000MX4, as a true wireless Bluetooth headphone, not only supports LDAC, but also can be combined with the new DSEE Extreme technology, and can improve sound quality with the blessing of AI. Coupled with the 6mm micro-dynamic unit, the sound performance is more detailed. However, to be honest, if you encounter songs with relatively low specifications, the Sony WF-1000XM4 still sounds a little rough, and the sound quality performance will deteriorate when connected to a device that does not support LDAC. However, among the true wireless Bluetooth headphones, it is already considered to be relatively excellent.
Its charging case is small in size so it is very portable, but the battery capacity and charging efficiency inside are relatively good, and the wireless charging coil is also placed on the bottom to support Qi wireless charging, the aesthetics and convenience of it are optimized successfully.
The weight of its single-sided earphone is about 7.3g, the shape combined with ergonomic design, which adapts to the needs of long-term wear, and is relatively firm to wear. In addition, the Sony WF-1000XM4 supports IPX4 waterproof.
Its price is $278, although the function is relatively perfect, the cost-effective is still average.
Overall, only the headphones suitable to you are perfect and the best.
If you have the budget to pursue noise-cancelling features, then you can consider Bose QuietComfort earbuds; If you just want to use it on your commute, then you can consider the Jabra Elite 85t; If you want to use it in daily life and sports, and pursue powerful performance and high cost-effective, then Wissonly Hi Runner bone conduction Bluetooth headphone is highly recommended.